The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

The early symptoms of CO poisoning are usually similar to common ailments such as upset stomach, tiredness and flu.

The common symptoms can include:

  • Headaches
  • Breathlessness
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Dizziness or Collapse
  • Chest and/or stomach pains
  • Erratic behaviour and/or Visual problems

Actions to take in a CO emergency

If you suspect fumes are escaping from your combustion appliance into your home, or your carbon monoxide alarm goes off.

  • Turn the appliance off.
  • Open doors and windows to ventilate the building.
  • Leave the building immediately and don’t return until your appliance or boiler has extinguished and the air in the room is clear.
  • If you feel unwell go to your Doctor,  or call one of the following:
    • call NHS Direct on 111 (in England)
    • NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 (in Wales)
    • NHS 24 on 111 (in Scotland)
    • If it is urgent phone 999 for an ambulance. Tell them you feel your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Before you reuse the appliance, have it serviced by a HETAS Registered Installer and the chimney swept by a registered chimney sweep
  • Do not use the appliance until you are told it is safe to do so.

 

large-sf450en